The summer fling: more romance than “no-strings-attached”, not as short as a one-night-stand, but not long enough to use the word “boyfriend” this Thanksgiving. The summer fling is a relationship all of it’s own, coming with it’s built in last date. For some, summer means more time on your hands, which means you can afford to have a little fun- but only for a few months. For others, the lighthearted air of summer has you wanting a partner to take on your spontaneous adventures. Whatever the reason, you need to know who to look for and who to avoid in a fling situation, the do’s and don’ts of having a fling, and if a fling is right for you. To summer fling, or not to summer fling…that is the question!
1. What to Look For, and What to Avoid in a Summer Fling
- -Neighbors who will still be there when summer’s over. Literally, next door.
- -Downers who will not take it well when the fling gets cut off come fall.
- -Holding off on “picking” your summer fling until you find your “perfect type”. After all- if they were perfect, wouldn’t you want more than a fling with them? Plus, getting out of your comfort zone might show you qualities you like that you never knew you liked before!
- -Someone who’s fun and energetic and will make for an exciting partner for summer adventures.
- -Someone spontaneous. if they have to plan time with you a month in advance, then HELLO summer will be over by then.
- -Someone who agrees that it’s a fling…this is important. If they somehow get the vibe that this is forever and ever, amen, then you will spend October through December fending off “I still love you and want to be with you”, texts.
2. The Do’s and Don’ts of Summer Flings
- -Officially end the fling when summer’s over. If you keep going back, then you are the reason Facebook created the option “It’s complicated”.
- -Get your butt off of Tinder and go outside and meet that cute guy that jogs along the boardwalk (feel free to email me for the follow up part of this that involves “accidentally” bumping into him- without injuring him of course).
- -Say goodbye to your clique. No no, don’t go giving back the friends forever bracelet- just be sure to get outside of your standard social circle and meet people you don’t already know!
- -Keep the relationship offline. Don’t rely on Facebooking, Tweeting, texting, emailing, and the works to communicate- opt for in person! You only have so long to fling it up with them, why choose to do it cyberly?
- -Throw the iPhone aside when you’re together. No- you don’t need your aunt in Connecticut to start asking if she gets to meet the cute boy in your Instagram this Christmas. Staying clear of FB tags, pics together, and Instagramming you sharing an ice cream sundae will help fend of the stream of questions that inevitably follow your Lo-Fi selfie where he happens to be sporting your shade of lipstick on his cheek.
- -Buy large gifts for each other. What’re you gonna do? Ask for it back three months from now?
- -Dress desperate. Yes, we get you’re going for non-commital, so I’m not telling you to shop in your Grandmother’s closet, but at the same time you’re not looking for a one night stand either. Keep it fun and flirty with the outfits- not skimpy and skanky.
- -Let your BFF “set you up with this awesome guy she knows and omg it will be so perf”. No. This includes her being the middle man (err woman) and gets messy when the enevitable “break-up” comes ‘round. Plus, do you really want to be running into them every time your BFF throws a shindig?
- -Use a fling to make an ex jealous. If you’re still trying to get over someone, a fling may be a distraction for you, but distractions are only temporary. The feelings for your ex will still be there when summer’s over.
3. Should YOU have a summer fling?
- -You need a second set of hands to apply sunscreen to your back, after all, you’re just being responsible!
- -You need someone to assist you in emptying that large pitcher of sangria in your ‘fridge… sharing is caring.
- -You need someone to take your beach selfies for you and a second set of eyes to choose the best filter.
- -You have an extra ticket to see Queen Bey and the idea of having it default to your little brother kind of makes you want to cry into your coffee a little.
- -Because YOLO- You’re Only Lonely Once. And then you get married and have babies and summer flings are on par with unicorns.
- -You are married.
- -You are almost married aka engaged.
- -You don’t believe in fun.